Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Millet-Chocolate Crunch, Pg. 287

OK, sorry for the delay of my post in response to Amy's Post, but I finally shopped and made this delicious chocolate treat!  I loved it and so did some of my classmates.  Now the roommates...I can't say the same for.  Brittany & Karen weren't overly excited about the millet chocolate, comparing it to a rice cake covered in chocolate...eh!
I loved it though!  I would also like to try it with almonds or peanuts too.
OK, planning for my Student Entree Station next week...the first time I get to make whatever I want in school.  Wish me luck.
Cheers!!   -Vicki

If a recipe calls for chocolate, I'm a fan!  Bittersweet chocolate + puffed millet + dried currants + sunflower seeds. Now this is what I call a healthy Rice Krispy treat!  I couldn't find puffed millet at Whole Foods so instead I went with Kashi Cereal 7 Whole Grain Puffs.  This blend included puffed wheat, rye, barley, buckwheat, sesame seeds, oats, and rice.  I love that I walk into the store and that day find out what I will be adding into my recipe; I had to ask where I could find the currants. So currants are much smaller than raisins and have a tart flavor.

Ben said he didn't like the "little tart things" and would prefer semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet.  "If you want to improve on this recipe, it would be a better to follow the recipe on the box of Kellog's Rice Krispies."  After Ben ate his first "treat" he refused to eat anymore.  It's funny that he wants the normal version of Rice Krispy treats because look at all the weird ingredients listed on the box: Rice, sugar (glucose and fructose), salt, malt (corn flour, malted barley), vitamins (thiamin hydrochloride, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, d-calcium pantothenate), iron, BHT added to package material to maintain product freshness. Husband Rating: 2/5 Grains! 

I snacked on these throughout the week and thought they satisfied my come home from work and eat a piece of chocolate craving.  I tried to eat the leftover Kashi cereal but could not finish the entire bowl.  I guess I'll need to melt more chocolate!   -amy


    

No comments:

Post a Comment