Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Morning Pancakes


Delicious oat/whole-grain pancakes on a Sunday morning, how perfect!  I even busted out the whip cream and asked Ben to run downstairs and pick a few fresh strawberries.  Yup, I sure do have illegally planted strawberries in front of my assigned parking space.  Everytime I see the maintenance people pulling weeds, I run outside to make sure they don't pull them out.  Last time they were here, Ben said they were picking and eating my strawberries while weeding! 

As you may know, Vicki and I are cooking through the book, Whole Grains Every Day Every Way by Lorna Sass.  She actually found out we created this website and emailed us about a year ago.  Lorna gave us permission to post three of her original recipes.  Since her pancakes turned out AMAZING, I decided this is a must post for everyone to try.  Vicki and I have been very pleased with her book and hope that you enjoy this recipe.

Stop yourself from purchasing Bisquick or Aunt Jemima instant "just add water mix".  You should already have the ingredients listed below in your pantry.  Lorna suggests you make a large batch and store.  This is exactly what I did.

Dry Mix
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 1/4 cups whole - wheat pastry flour (100% ground wheat worked just fine)
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

Place oats in a spice grinder, processor, or Magic Bullet and process to the consistency of flour. Mix all dry ingedients together.  Place 1 1/3 cups of the mix into each of the 4 Ziplock bags.  Refrigerate or freeze for up to 3 months.

Whole Grain Pancakes
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup of well-shaken buttermilk, plus more if needed. 
(If you do not have buttermilk use regular milk and add 1 tsp of vinegar)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 packet (1 1/3 cups) Whole-Grain Pancake Mix (see recipe above)

In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs.  Blend in the buttermilk, butter, and vanilla.  Add the pancake mix, and stir just until the mixture forms a lumpy batter.  Avoid overmixing.  Heat griddle over medium heat and coat lightly with oil. Make pancakes!!!!  - amy w.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! We make wholemeal pancakes from scratch almost every weekend, but I'll have to try this recipe with the oats. Also, love the strawberry story - when my bf's parents were visiting, his dad kept telling me to plant my herbs in the building's common garden where they'd get more sunlight than on our balcony. He said no one would notice, but I kept telling him no way! But maybe it's not so crazy after all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best! The sprinklers even come on and water for you! :)

    ReplyDelete